Queen Mary's Military Hospital
Construction of the hospital was almost complete at the start of the First World War and the Lancashire Asylums Board offered the hospital to the War Office. The branch line had been built in 1907 to help transport building materials. There is a memorial to some of the soldiers who died at the hospital in the cemetery and there is an article about it here. The private railway operated until 1953, for example bringing coal into the hospital's own gas works.